How to Optimize Your Listings for Etsy Search
When someone searches on Etsy, the system looks at listing titles, along with tags, and marketplace categories.
The first few words of listing titles have a particularly strong influence on Etsy Search.
Focus on writing short, clear, descriptive titles that make it easy for shoppers who are scanning a busy search results page to see what you’re selling.
Example of an optimized Etsy Title:
Yoga Poses Beach Towel |Hand Illustrated Towel, Orange Beach Towel With Yogis Posing, Lotus Pose, Cobra Pose, Downward Facing Dog, Tree pose
Title field limitations:
- Etsy Title can be up to 140 characters long.
- The following characters % : & may only be used in a title once.
- The following characters may not be used: $ ^ `
- Titles may not contain more than three words in all caps.
A tag is a word or short phrase that describes your item. Etsy matches tags with shoppers' searches to find relevant results.
To improve where your items are appearing on Etsy, be sure to use your tags when listing your items!
Example of optimized tags:
gift, art deco, vintage, retro, illustration, housewarming, art deco towel, retro towel, for yogi, for friend, for yoga friend, sunbathing towel.
Tags field limitations:
- Etsy tags field may contain up to 13 tags per product.
- A tag can be up to 20 characters long.
- No special characters are allowed.
- Tags should be separated by a comma and space.
Categories act like tags. Be sure to add the most specific option available for the item you're listing in the Selection tab of your Etsy channel. Simply type a keyword associated with your products.
For example, we typed the word 'rug' and can select the most specific Etsy category for our products.